The Sabbath: Redemption and Creation
by Edwin M. Cotto
NOTE: This sermon is accompanied by a PowerPoint presentation. While the outline is free, we do ask for a donation of your choice. If you would like this PowerPoint, donate by clicking here and leave a comment saying “For The Sabbath: Redemption and Creation PowerPoint” with your email information. Contact us if you have any questions.
INTRO: Read Matthew 11:28-30.
FIRST: “Come unto me all ye…”
1. “Come” this is an invitation. The Father “draws” people to Jesus (John 6:44) Paul couldn’t resist. Apostles either.
2. Salvation is easy – John 6:28-29. You will be LOST only when you RESIST!
3. “LET THERE BE LIGHT” – blind man, crippled man, etc. Daniel’s Son at the Lowe’s store – Psalm 119:26-29, 33-29.
4. “Me” who is he? He is the CREATOR (Col. 1:14-16).
5. By being the creator, he can be the redeemer
6. REDEMPTION and CREATION always go together: “CREATE in me a clean heart…” Ps. 51:10.
7. “ALL” who – Labour = working your salvation/ heavy laden= burdens of sin.
8. SABBATH = CREATION (Exodus 20:11) and SABBATH = REDEMPTION (Deuteronomy 5:15) (ON SCREEN)
9. In Psalm 92: CREATION (v. 4-5) connected with REDEMPTION (v. 9-14). – SABBATH -Psalm 102:25.
SECOND: What does he offer? “… I will give you rest.”
1. This REST always available! (ON SCREEN)
2. What “rest” is this? ANSWER: “take MY yoke upon you, and LEARN of me” REST FROM LABOR!
3. Illustration: Two cattle yoked together. They are WORKING together. Jesus carries the burden because he gives you REST! – Philippians 2:13
4. JESUS TAKES CONTROL – THUS YOU REST! “His yoke is easy his burden is light” – RIGHTEOUSNESS BY FAITH
THIRD: The Sabbath
1. Notice this took place on the Sabbath day (chapter 12:1) Is Jesus replacing the Sabbath? No! See: Verse 12.
2. Jesus takes this opportunity to show them what the Sabbath is truly about!
3. David needed food = REDEMPTION – The Priests in the Temple – REDEMPTION (ON SCREEN)
4. Not replacing the Sabbath – Verse 12 teaches them HOW to keep the Sabbath!
5. SPIRITUAL REST OFFERED BEFORE AND YET BUT GOD EXPECTED SABBATH KEEPING (Exodus 33:14 and Jeremiah 6:16) (ON SCREEN)
6. Jesus is teaching that Sabbath-keeping represents MORE than outwardly rest, it represents salvation – REST WITHIN!
7. Therefore, the Sabbath is a SIGN of the REST we have in JESUS! – Exodus 31:13 (ON SCREEN)
8. SABBATH A SIGN OF GOD – SUNDAY A SIGN OF MAN
9. The reality in your heart does not take away the need for the outward sign – EXAMPLE: Bread/Wine (ON SCREEN)
10. Why an outward sign? TWO REASONS: It shows inward sanctification (Ez. 20:12) and helps in conceptualization.
11. PROVE IT FURTHER: Hebrews 4
FOURTH: Jesus’ Spiritual Rest was PREACHED TO THEM (Hebrews 4:2, 6) (ON SCREEN)
1: It was in existence from the Foundation of the World (Hebrews 4:3-4 – Genesis 2:2-3, 2:15) (ON SCREEN)
2. They did not enter because of UNBELIEF!
3. This does not do away with the SIGN – Hebrews 4:9-10.
4. It is available TODAY! after SO LONG A TIME – Verse 7!
1. RECAP: The Sabbath represents REDEMPTION THROUGH CREATION!
2. Story – Anika means “grace” – Every 8 minutes a child abducted in India. 70% taken into child trafficking
3. 2 Cor. 5:17 – Do you want to be made a NEW CREATION? (ON SCREEN) – END WITH: Matthew 11:30