Will God Keep His Promise?
by Edwin M. Cotto
NOTE: This sermon is accompanied by a PowerPoint presentation. While the outline is free, we do ask for a donation of your choice. If you would like this PowerPoint, donate by clicking here and leave a comment saying “For Will God Keep his Promise? PowerPoint” with your email information. Contact us if you have any questions. THIS POWERPOINT IS AVAILABLE IN SPANISH.
INTRO: Illustration: Promised to run a marathon. Bookbag gets filled with books. WILL YOU FINISH THE RACE? Isaiah 53:6.
BODY: COMPARE: Luke 22:41, Mark 14:35, Matthew 26:39. IS THERE A CONTRADICTION HERE? No! Each writer is giving a separate perspective of the same event. Jesus “went to pray” then he “knelt down” then he “fell down.” The weight of the world’s sins was being placed upon him!
SECTION 1: Prophecy of Messiah’s Resurrection: READ: Isaiah 53:8-10.
- Verses 8-9: DEATH / Verse 10: RESURRECTION.
- “Father, take this cup from me…” ILLUSTRATION: Poison cup.
- What does sin do? IT SEPARATES! -Isaiah 59:2.
- Will God Keep This Promise?
SECTION 2: Physical and Spiritual Anguish: READ: Luke 22:44.
- PHYSICAL REASON FOR SWEATING BLOOD: Diapedesis – results from high levels of stress.
- SPIRITUAL REASON FOR SWEATING BLOOD: Agony – in Greek means: “severe struggle (mental/emotional) for victory”
- Hebrews 12:4 – God’s people to struggle against sin – How many of us wrestle against sin “unto blood”?
- Will God Keep His Promise?
SECTION 3: Separation and Death is Approaching: READ: Matthew 26:36-38.
- Desire of Ages, page 641: OUTER DARKNESS – Compare: God is light (1 John 1:3) with The Lost in Darkness (Matt. 25:30)
- The WICKED are in DARKNESS because they are separated from God, the LIGHT.
- Jesus is separating from God, the light. HE IS EXPERIENCING WHAT THE WICKED WILL FEEL!
- Desire of Ages, page 637 – 638.
- Everyone abandons Jesus except one who comes back – JUDAS!
SECTION 4: Some Hope is Rekindled: READ: Luke 22:43.
- A JOY was presented to him – Hebrews 12:2 (on slide)
- HE SAW: The saints redeemed, the New Heaven/New Earth, the Ancient Prophets, YOU AND ME!
SECTION 5: Final Separation Takes Place
- Jesus ARRESTED, TRIED, BEATEN, ACCUSED, CRUCIFIED.
- Will God Keep His Promise?
- He “became sin” (2 Corinthians 5:21). He became a “curse” (Galatians 3:13).
- His face was severely DISFIGURED (Isaiah 52:14)
- “My God, My God, Why hast thou Forsaken me?” (Matthew 27:46)
- His HEART was LITERALLY BROKEN: Psalm 69:20 – on Slide)
- WILL GOD KEEP HIS PROMISE?
CONCLUSION: God Always Keeps his Promises!
- The Resurrection takes place! Isaiah 53:10 fulfilled!
- Other promises he will keep: Transformation (2 Cor. 3:18, Psalm 16:8). More promises:
- Victory Over Sin (Jude 24) Thoughts Controlled (2 Cor. 10:5) Desires Changed (Phi. 2:13) God Will Keep You (2 Thess. 5:23)
- Practicality: Always Praying (1 Thess 5:17) and Always Keeping the WORD in your heart (Psalm 119:11)
- EGW Quote (MB, page 71) – The Bible says we are IN Christ! (Romans 8:1, 1 Cor. 15:22, etc)
- ONE MORE PROMISE: The 2nd Coming of Christ – RESURRECTION OF OUR LOVED ONES!
- Do you want to see these promises fulfilled in your life? APPEAL: Isaiah 55:1-3!